These are prehistoric needles made of carotin (bone-like fingernail material)
Different shapes because of the stock they have, limited in processing it into a tool.
Sharpness depends on use. Imprecise tools.
Thread from plant, bamboo fiber, hair, animal intestine.
Stone → bronze → steel n industrial revolution
We as designers need to maintain the humanity within the mass produced product
Concepts and Definitions
the act of using the problem's of one's everyday life as the impetus for product ideas
write their "bugs" (problems) in a list
the act of discovering people's explicit and implicit needs so that you can create an appropriate solution
a physical, psychological or cultural requirement of an individual or group
an object, action or process that satisfies a need
be an active observer, look closely at and document everything
- accepted vs denied
- do people understand and accept that they have this need?
- universal vs tied to a situation
- connect needs that are big enough to be profound to related ones that are small enough to solve
- "I need to find a safe exit from the building"
- convertible vs tied to a situation
- does the need translate into a WANT for one solution?
- "I need a Coke" is a need for atlanta pride
- explicit vs implicit
- go beyond what is overtly stated
- "success of the wii satisfying implicit need of older folks to enjoy activities they are familiar with in gaming"
IRB Certification & Ethics
Institutional Review Board Certification:
- required for
- publication, conferences, quantitative measurements
- humans as test subjects for opinions
- any federally funded human test subjects research at an institutional level
- is not required for
- informational interviews through everyday conversation
- qualitative, publicly observable research
- subject matter experts for knowledge in their field
- when in doubt, get IRB certification
- disclosure and consent: always make sure the subject knows they're being studied and consent
You can close more businesses in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you.